Just Plain Living…

Stories from our gentle Home…

Embrace the LIGHT! April 5, 2009

With rain, rain and more rain this week…I am feeling super grateful that the sun is shining brightly through the windows of our Just Plain home this morning. When I let the dog out the door, I had to just stand there in the light for a moment and embrace it. Ahhh. It is so refreshing. We have plans to get out into it as soon as we are all fully awake and thinking more clearly. Yes…we just woke up a bit ago. For some reason each year at this same time, we get on this habit of staying up way too late and sleeping in just the same. It is so dark at 7 in the morning and just barely light at 8 so, it just feels more natural to sleep…and enjoy the daylight hours that are now into the evening. Our winter time hibernation is clearly coming to an end though…as new  blossoms are emerging each day and letting us know spring is here! I think the sleeping in is one last attempt to drag the hibernation out a bit. Next week, we will go back to more “normal” (yeah, I used the ‘N’ word…whatever it means) hours.

Despite the presence of the rain this week, we still managed to stay busy (remember busy for us is different than hustle and bustle busy). The theme for the week for Taige’s nature based learning guide was “Plants and Growing”. It was great fun to jump into this! We started the week with a watercolor painting session…

april-2009-004

april-2009-003

We are still loving our new Stockmar watercolor paints. We used all three colors this week again and were able to create this lovely scene of a flower. We had talked about what a seed needs in order to grow just prior to painting so we made sure to include those things in the photo. Sunlight, nutrients from the soil and water. Well…you just have to imagine the water….and the soil…well, it’s under the grass. Taige’s painting is on the left and mine on the right. I led the painting this week since we used all three colors again and had an image we wanted to create. Yellow went on first…for the sun. Then, it went all over the bottom with little blades sticking up as well as a stem and any leaves. Next came blue…for the sky first…all over the top half…careful not to touch the sun…as she likes to stay yellow…not green. Next, blue decided to play with the yellow on the bottom half to make our grass…green. Then, we went to red…but the tiniest amount ever…we could hardly see it…had to squint! And we then barely touched blue in the sky where we wanted our flower(s) to go…and Viola! Purple! And the damp paper (we did wet-on-wet watercolor) took the purple and let it run. It is so beautiful to watch. We often become captivated. After purple was finished playing, we dried our paintbrushes and made an outline for the flower-at Taige’s request. Not something I would normally do…the idea is to let the colors  blend and run and play. But, outline he wanted and outline he got. I did help a bit with the outline…and I used a wet paintbrush for mine…(on the right) and the water wanted to play with the blue. It was fun and I enjoyed the peaceful painting time with Taige…

Once they dried…the next day, we added the “seeds” with glue…and the “roots” (hemp) and we each picked the verse that we liked the best from the week. Both of these are actually fingerplays and are really cute when acted out. Here are the finished pieces…

april-2009-051

 april-2009-053

In keeping with the theme for the week…and with Easter coming up…although celebrated quite alternatively in our home…we decided to sprout easter grass in our baskets! We went to the Co-Op  and purchased some winter wheat berries and then made a stop at Home Depot for a bag of potting soil. We made a stop out back of our house…at our shed…and dug for the box labeled “Easter”.  We gathered all of our supplies and set up in the front yard-during the only point of the day that it was not raining…and began! We lined the baskets with a plastic grocery bag…then, added some soil…then, the seeds. Since we are sprouting them, there is no need to cover the seeds with soil…but, they do  need to be kept in a warm environment. So, we set up our grow lights…which needed to be set up anyway for the garden seedlings and covered each basket with plastic wrap (creating the greenhouse effect). They are still there as I type and have already sprouted! It took less than 24 hours! I did soak the seeds in water for 24 hours prior to planting them to “help” them on their way.  Here is the process in photos…

april-2009-022april-2009-023april-2009-024april-2009-025april-2009-030april-2009-031april-2009-029april-2009-044april-2009-055 Grow! Grow! Grow!

And, last but not least…

Remember the beeswax sheets we bought last week? Well, even though this did not totally tie into our theme for the week…it was great fun and served as our modeling day. We typically have one day of modeling a week…either playdough…or pure beeswax. So late in the week, here is the modeling that we did…april-2009-060

Heat with the hairdryer…insert wick…roll, roll… roll, roll…heat, connect another piece…roll, roll…heat to seal! Then, with the modeling beeswax, I created this embellishment for one of the candles…

april-2009-072april-2009-067

This is the modeling beeswax I use. It is heavenly and can be shaped into anything. You just have to work it a bit to get it to soften.  april-2009-068

 These are the finished candles. I generally wrap the exterior with the paper that the sheets come on just to protect the candles. They pick up dust and can easily be dented if left unwrapped. They smell so great and are so easy to make. Taige mentioned that he wants to sell them when we set up our Etsy shop. I have been meaning to do that for a while now but just have not had the time. Soon maybe! april-2009-066

 We had a great week…

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements